Ingredient Page: Sea Buckthorn Oil
Today, we're turning the spotlight on a standout ingredient that brings a drop of nature's power to our Sacred Serum face oil - the illustrious Sea buckthorn. Despite what its name may suggest, this vibrant orange berry doesn't hail from ocean depths but from the harsh climates of the northern Himalayas.
Packed with a medley of bioactive compounds, Sea buckthorn has made its way from these lofty heights into the heart of our rejuvenating Sacred Serum.
We’ll talk about what Sea buckthorn oil is, its roots in traditional medicine, the benefits to consider, and how we’ve harnessed its power and potency to offer you the highest quality skincare.
Type: Sea Buckhorn (Hippophae rhamnoides) originates from the Nepal Himalayas but spread throughout Asia and the Americas and has been found in Europe from as early as the first ice age.
History: Sea buckthorn's roots trace back to ancient Greece, where it was named Hippophae, translating to “shiny horse,” after it was found to improve horses' health and give their coats a lustrous sheen. This vibrant, orange-berried plant has also adorned the annals of Tibetan and Mongolian medicine, earning it a distinguished place in historical wellness practices.
Benefits: Protect your skin, fight acne, treat dry or itchy skin, heal wounds and burns, repair damaged hair, boost immune system, support liver health, promote heart health (1)
A Sacred Secret? Did you know that Sea buckthorn isn't from the Sea? Despite its name, this plant grows primarily in dry, sandy areas. It got its name because it's often used to prevent soil erosion along Seacoasts.
Background: Sea Buckthorn Oil
Sea buckthorn is a veritable treasure trove of nourishing elements, being rich in antioxidants, Vitamins E and C, and minerals like potassium, calcium, and magnesium. It's a versatile ingredient widely utilized across products for skin, hair, and even digestive health.
Sea buckthorn is unique in its high concentration of Omega-7 fatty acids, which have profound nourishing and restorative effects on the skin. This means Sea Buckthorn oil can replenish the skin's natural oils, conditioning and preserving moisture to keep skin vibrant and healthy.
Although referred to as "Sea buckthorn oil," it's technically a berry extract. However, its oil-like consistency and the presence of long-chain fatty acids and alcohols make the term "oil" widely accepted. This composition ensures its exceptional shelf-life stability and superior resistance to high temperatures, standing out from typical vegetable oils.
Sea buckthorn can be considered an excellent natural emollient, bringing hydration, protection from free radicals, and leaving a light, non-greasy feel when applied.
- Protect your skin
- Fight acne
- Treat dry, irritated, flaky or itchy skin
- Heal wounds and burns
- Combat inflammation
- Neutralize harmful free radicals
- Repair damaged hair
- Boost immune system
- Support liver health
- Promote heart health
Sacred Serum & Sea Buckthorn Oil
Sacred Serum face oil adapts to your skin type due to a balanced formula of organic, botanical superfood flowers, plant and seed oils. Working synergistically with the 26 other organic ingredients in Sacred Serum, Sea buckthorn oil goes deep into the skin to feed, protect and beautify.
Our organic nutrients and antioxidants penetrate to provide a healthy glow while balancing your skin tone.
Sacred Serum Benefits:
- Balance sebum production: Our unique formula of botanical seed oils mimics sebum, the skin's natural oil, promoting balance and enhancing the skin's defense system. It regulates oil production, soothing oily and acne-prone skin while providing lubrication for dry and under-nourished skin.
- Absorbs deep into tissue: Sacred Serum face oil deeply hydrates and repairs without leaving an oily residue. Customers adore its quick absorption, marveling at the softness and matte finish it imparts.
- High potency anti-inflammatory: Organic oil extracts in our serum possess potent anti-inflammatory properties, alleviating symptoms like psoriasis, eczema, rashes, puffiness, and redness.
- Boosts cell reproduction: Harnessing the regenerative properties of time-tested ingredients, our serum accelerates healing and promotes cell reproduction. It diminishes sunspots, scars, fine lines, and wrinkles while enhancing radiance.
Experience the transformative power of our Sacred Serum face oil today. And rest easy, because your purchase is protected by our 30-day satisfaction guarantee. Your satisfaction is our promise.
Why Choose Organic, Cold-Pressed Sea Buckthorn Oil?
Embracing organic means indulging in nutrient-dense elements, untouched by harmful chemicals and pesticides. The secret to a glowing skin lies in an abundance of vitamins and nutrients, hence the Sacred Rituel’s commitment to the purest organic ingredients.
- Organic (Biodynamic) Label: Refers to how ingredients are grown and harvested.
- Cold-Pressed Label: Refers to how ingredients are processed from a plant or seed to an oil. When oils are cold-pressed, they are extracted from their source using mechanical methods rather than heat or solvents.
With cold-pressed oils, there is very little processing, which allows it to retain important nutrients responsible for healing. Ultimately, cold pressing delivers a potent product that's highly effective AND safe because there aren't any additives. It’s a win/win for your skin!
All Sacred Rituel ingredients are made without:
Preservatives: May be used in cosmetics to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria and mold. Parabens and formaldehyde-releasing preservatives are commonly used preservatives in cosmetic and personal care products.
Parabens: Are preservatives used in a wide variety of personal care products and foods to prevent the growth of microbes. These endocrine-disrupting chemicals can be absorbed through skin, blood and the digestive system.(2)
Phthalates: Pronounced THAL-ates, these chemicals, which are linked to endocrine disruption, developmental and reproductive toxicity, and cancer, have been banned from cosmetics in the European Union, but still remain prevalent in U.S. products.
Methylisothiazolinone (MIT) & Methylchloroisothiazolinone (CMIT): They may be hard to pronounce, but they can be even harder on the body. These common preservatives are found in many liquid personal care products and have been linked to lung toxicity, (2) allergic reactions, and possible neurotoxicity.
Sacred Secrets: All Things Sea Buckthorn
What is Sea buckthorn?
Sea buckthorn, a small shrub bearing vibrant orange berries, is a traditional superfood hailing from the mountains of Europe, Asia, and North America. Packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and essential fatty acids, it bolsters the immune system, enhances skin health, and promotes liver and heart wellness.
It's also reputed to have anti-inflammatory benefits. Sea buckthorn can be enjoyed in various forms like fresh berries, juice, or oil, as a daily dietary inclusion or a supplement.
How to use Sea buckthorn?
Sea buckthorn is a nutritional powerhouse that can be enjoyed fresh, as juice, or in oil form. Here's how:
- Fresh Berries: Fresh Sea Buckthorn berries can be enjoyed as they are or blended into your smoothies and salads for a healthful twist. Additionally, turn them into tangy jams or jellies to give your breakfast a nutritious kick.
- Sea Buckthorn Juice: Blend some berries with water or your preferred juice, add sweeteners if desired, and sip your way to wellness.
- Sea Buckthorn Oil: Applied topically, it can soothe skin conditions like eczema and acne, thanks to its hydrating omega-7 fatty acids and skin-friendly vitamins. Consumed internally, it can aid liver health and boost immunity, credited to its omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin C content. Sea Buckthorn oil is also available in capsules and liquid forms.
Is Sea buckthorn safe to eat?
Yes, Sea buckthorn is safe to eat. It is generally consumed in the form of fresh berries, juice, or oil. However, it is important to note that Sea Buckthorn can interact with certain medications, so it is best to talk to your doctor before taking it.
Can you take Sea buckthorn daily?
Sea buckthorn can be taken daily, but it is best to talk to your doctor about the appropriate dosage for your individual needs.
Is Sea buckthorn good for the brain?
Sea buckthorn is rich in antioxidants and vitamins, which can help to support brain health. It may also help to reduce inflammation, which can in turn help to support cognitive function.
Does Sea buckthorn have caffeine?
No, Sea buckthorn does not contain caffeine.
What are the potential risks of taking Sea buckthorn?
While Sea buckthorn is generally safe, there are possible risks:
- Allergic reactions: Although rare, allergic reactions can occur, ranging from itching to breathing difficulty.
- Interactions with medications: Sea Buckthorn could interact with specific drugs, potentially affecting their effectiveness.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: Consult a doctor before taking Sea buckthorn if pregnant or breastfeeding due to lack of studies in these populations.
How much Sea buckthorn should I consume?
Start with a small dose and gradually increase based on your health condition. Adults may safely consume 1-3 grams of dried berries or 200-400 milligrams of Sea Buckthorn oil daily. Those pregnant, breastfeeding, and anyone under 18 should consult a doctor before consumption.
- Zeb, A. (2004). Important therapeutic uses of Sea Buckthorn (Hippophae): review. Journal of Biological Sciences, 4(5), 687-693. DOI: 10.3923/jbs.2004.687.693.
- Gad HA, Roberts A, Hamzi SH, Gad HA, Touiss I, Altyar AE, Kensara OA, Ashour ML. Jojoba Oil: An Updated Comprehensive Review on Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Uses, and Toxicity. Polymers (Basel). 2021 May 24;13(11):1711. doi: 10.3390/polym13111711. PMID: 34073772; PMCID: PMC8197201.